Sometimes we forget to laugh.
The world has become such a serious place that humor can seem frivolous, a luxury for a happier time. But life without laughter is empty.
Thankfully, two of my favorite live-in comedians, age 8 and 4, are killin’ it daily. We just have to pay attention.
(And be ok with the living room’s new decor of swirling, floating, tiny feathers because, well, the 4-year old took a bite out of an over-stuffed cushion during a no-holds-barred pillow fight…)
On Being Healthy (courtesy of M, age 4):
– Are you ready for some exercise? Because we’re about to do some exorcism!
On technology’s limits (courtesy of N, age 8):
– Alexa, play “Viva la Vida” by Coldplay
– Here’s “Little Bit of Whore” by Johnny Thunders…
On the perfect pet (courtesy of M, age 4):
–I’d like a penguin.
Reasonable parent: Cute idea but how about something a little more practical?
– Ok, I guess I’d take a small dinosaur.
On the art of debate (as demonstrated from the backseat):
-Yes, he can!
-No, he can’t.
[Voices rising… tension’s building in the car. Clearly, this is important!]
– I saw it. Batman can fly.
–No, he can’t. You don’t know anything.
–Yes, I do.
– Oh, yeah. If you’re so smart, what’s 15 + 15? [Victory fist-pump for the 2nd grader…]
On describing a teacher [courtesy of M, age 4]:
–Well, she’s got brown hair and looks kind of like God.
One more for the road… Overheard at Sports Clip (as stylist makes small talk with young child in chair next to us):
– That’s a cool action figure you brought with you! What’s his name again– Captain Morgan?
[Awkward moment follows as child’s mother sweetly suggests stylist mistook superhero for Rum spokes-pirate because she works long hours in a salon where sports shows and liquor ads must play all day. But stylist corrects her…]
-Nope, just too many late nights partying!